On New Year’s Day you can take advantage of free guided hikes offered at 31 state parks in Oregon.
The Oregon Parks and Recreation Department’s First Day Hikes features 37 hikes guided by a park ranger or volunteer who will share stories about the history, geology, wildlife and plants of the park, according to a press release.
Those interested can register to receive contact information with hike details: bit.ly/ParkStoreEvents
If you plan on participating, Oregon Parks and Recreation advises visitors to plan for inclement weather, dress in layers, wear sturdy shoes, bring water and remember to carry binoculars for viewing wildlife.
Also be sure to take plenty of photos and share them with Oregon Forests Forever!
In addition to the free guided hike, day-use parking fees will also be waived at all participating parks.
See details for the different hikes below, and see the full list from the press release here.
• Champoeg State Heritage Area: 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., meet at the visitor center.
• Dexter State Recreation Site: 9 a.m., meet at the Dexter Disc Golf course.
• Elijah Bristow State Park: noon, meet at the equestrian parking area for horse riding (bring your own horse).
• Silver Falls State Park: 9 a.m., 10 a.m., 1 p.m. and 2 p.m., meet at South Falls Lodge porch.
• Willamette Mission State Park: 10 a.m., meet at the Wheatland Ferry.
• Bullards Beach State Park: 1 p.m., meet at the meeting hall.
• Cape Meares State Scenic Viewpoint: noon, meet in the Cape Meares parking lot.
• Crissey Field State Recreation Site: 11 a.m., meet at the welcome center.
• Fort Stevens State Park: 10 a.m., meet in the Battery Russell parking lot.
• Humbug Mountain State Park: 10 a.m., meet at the Humbug Mountain trailhead.
• Jessie M. Honeyman Memorial State Park: 10 a.m., meet in the group camp parking lot.
• Oswald West State Park: 8 a.m., meet at the Cape Falcon trailhead.
• Seal Rock State Recreation Site: 9:30 a.m., meet in the Seal Rock parking lot.
• Umpqua Lighthouse State Park: 1 p.m., meet at Lake Marie Day-use area.
• William M. Tugman State Park: 10 a.m., meet at the Eel Lake boat ramp.